Wednesday 30 April 2014

Better Beverages- Mini Tuo Cha

I was rearranging my tea cupboard today when I found two of these right at the back. "These" are Tuo Cha, or compressed tea.


The company I got them from is Better Beverage in Edinburgh. This is an unusual shop for this day and age as their website does not sell anything. I have not purchased from them in a while as they shut around noon on a Saturday. The shop is small, just a man behind a counter, but the man who runs the shop is very knowledgeable and friendly and makes excellent  recommendations for tea. I haven't been for about a year so I have finished my favourite blend from them is Arctic Fire.

The tuo cha is a little bullet of compressed tea. One of the nice things about this form of tea is that you don't need to think about how much to put in the pot.

For the first infusion I go for 2 minutes. The leaves need time to unfurl and release their flavour. On the second infusion however, you only need to infuse for the time it takes to put milk in your mug. The too cha  are good for 3 or 4 infusions.
The golden coloured liquid produced has a strong smell and taste, earthy and ever so slightly smokey. This isn't a subtle tea, and shouldn't be paired with delicate foods. But that's ok, because biscuits are not delicate foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment