Wednesday 16 April 2014

Pukka- elegant english breakfast

This is another tea that I picked up from the Tesco clearance shelf. Now, it doesn't go out of date until September 2016, so either the packaging has changed or it isn't selling well.

The blurb on the box made this tea sound very promising- organic, ethically sourced tea. Hand picked whole leaves from Vietnam, in  individual sachets. And it's fair trade.

On opening the box, I did not really get a smell of tea. The tea bags are individually wrapped, so that might explain why. The kettle was boiled and a mug of tea made.

This isn't a strong tea, and doesn't need too much milk. Because the tea wasn't very strong, I decided to dissect a teabag.
Well, for a whole leaf tea the leaves are rather small. Or perhaps I have been spoiled by the good quality teas I have already had.

For my second mug, I infused for 5 minutes not 3, in the hope that it would give me a stronger brew. It was a little stronger, a little more flavoursome this time. It's an adequate tea, no unpleasant astringent tanin flavours, but for me this lacked depth and body.It does describe itself as elegant, and I think on balance that is a good description. Pukka haven't delivered depth and body, but it is a light, drinkable, inoffensive brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment